About Me

My photo
I am a part-time author of dollarbinhorror.blogspot.com...short story and novel writer. I've found true love with the one I love.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stardate 0515.10

A long, long time ago in space, the final frontier...there are those who believe that life here began out there....



Another Descent Into...
Star Wars:The New Jedi Order-Ruin

I am usually not a fan of media tie-in stories(i.e Novelizations of movies, t.v. shows, etc.) The problem is they are just too confined with in a certain template. There are notable exceptions. The Eugenics Wars trilogy from Star Trek, a few post-series TNG and Voyager tales for example. And now, I'd like to add this: The Star Wars Expanded Universe New Jedi Order series.

The series revolves around the Yuuzhan Vong invasion of the galaxy 21–26 years after the events depicted in Return of the Jedi. Who are these beings, you ask? A sentient race from the Unknown Regions of space who are deeply religious, technophobic, and are blind in the Force. They're warrior-like and use living creatures for their weapons and ships.

I have just finished reading the third in this nineteen story series. Here's what you missed so far....

The Galactic Empire has ended the war with the New Republic, but the galaxy is far from at peace. Unrest is spreading everywhere, and threatens to destroy the New Republic's tenuous reign.




Into this fragile moment comes Nom Anor, a mysterious and charismatic firebrand who is sowing seeds of mistrust and anger through his call for a simpler time. Little do his followers know the truth which hides behind his words.



When ExGal 4, a scientific outpost on Belkedan, discovers an odd comet-like object coming through the vast distance between the galaxies, astrophysicist Danni Quee takes it upon herself to investigate. She journeys to the Helska system, unaware of the danger which threatens the survival of the entire galaxy: the Yuuzhan Vong.

Jedi Masters Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker, along with the Solos and Chewbacca are thrust into the middle of the danger once more, forced to fight with all they have to save the galaxy.

Sadly, a major character dies...but I won't tell if you don't know who by now it is....

In the second story...
Reeling from the initial incursions of the extragalactic Yuuzhan Vong, the forces of the New Republic regroup to Coruscant, where former Chief of State Leia Organa Solo addresses the Galactic Senate and finds the members divided on how to deal with the Yuuzhan Vong threat. The Yuuzhan Vong's beachhead on Belkadan undergoes Vongforming while Jedi Master Luke Skywalker endeavors to unite the Jedi. Also Han and Leia's daughter Jaina accepts a place in Rogue Squadron.

A very disturbing twist of events...

So now we come, reader, to Ruin...
Trustant of the Caamasi Remnant, Elegos A'Kla is dispatched as an emissary to the Yuuzhan Vong as their main battle fleet penetrates into the galaxy's Outer Rim. A'Kla dies in his attempt as Corran Horn and the Yuuzhan Vong commander, Shedao Shai, duel over the fate of the planet Ithor (home to the "Hammerheads" from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) -- a conflict that ends with Ithor's destruction.

This is a great middle story. The fact that Luke plays hardly a meaty role in this tale makes all the better. I enjoy stories that don't use the main characters to advance a story along all the time. We see a great character development in Jacen and Anakin Solo along with Jedi Corran Horn. If you like post-ROTJ, then you'll love this story.

No significant flaws really to be had other than some clerical errors...8/10


Ten things you may, may not, or don't care to know about me-
Initally, I was going to do 25 but that's just overkill.....

1. I am not an alien, lol. I was actually born in suburban Pittsburgh.
2. I have a Pittsburgh Steelers tattoo on my right bicep
3. I am an old school metalhead
4. I have lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, West Virginia(2x), and California
5. I am the author of the short stories Rhapsody in Black and From A Serpent's Kiss...
6. I love Louis L'amour tales
7. I only watch one current t.v. show, V
8. I hopped on the X-Files bandwagon seven years after it went off the air, lol.
9. Growing up, Mario Lemieux was my childhood hero
10. I had aspirations to become a pro wrestler

Goodnight Now!















 


No comments:

Post a Comment