About Me

My photo
I am a part-time author of dollarbinhorror.blogspot.com...short story and novel writer. I've found true love with the one I love.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Stardate 0304.10

So many nights I look out my window....so many dreams die in the first beam of the sunlight...

Before I begin this post in earnest...My ex-wife informed me last night she has contracted uterian cancer...she is to have surgery within the next few months...I pray that she is healed...We may no longer be married but she is afterall a human being and deserves the respect all should receive when faced with adversity especially one of this nature.

Another Decent Into...
The Last Forty-Eight Hours of My Life-

Well what can I say? The first whammy hit when ex-fiancee decided it to leave me in exile. It happened when I discussed an incident in my past. It scared her and she left. I won't go into specifics but I'm hurt that she would do this. I felt once again my heart ripped from my chest. When I was a teenager, I hurt people. I lived in a cycle of violence finally broken when I left home and received three years of therapy. I discovered how I can really be in this world. That's who I am now. Caring about the people who matter most to me. Yes, even my ex-wife.

Sadly ex-fiancee feels I live in the shadows of my past. Do I blame her? No. Do I wish she could she me as I am now? Yes. For someone who claims to be a Christian, you, ex-fiancee, have a lot to learn about forgiveness.  So once again I go into exile, deservedly so. I just did not believe the consquences can last nearly 20 yrs after.

Opera-
Ok, on to happier things. I watched Dario Argento's 1987 Opera Monday night. For those who know me, I am a huge fan of Italian horror movies or gialo as they are called over there. Dario Argento, Mario Bava, and Lucio Fulci led the three-headed black gloved monster in the director department. With Opera however, Mr. Argento misfires.

Betty, a young opera singer, gets her big chance when the previous star of a production of Verdi's Macbeth is run over by a car. Convinced the opera is bad luck she accepts, and becomes the target (in Argento's unmistakable style) of a psychopath - a man she has been dreaming of since childhood. The vicious assailant stalks Betty, capturing her by tying her up and taping pins to her eyelids - so she is forced to watch as he violently murders the people around her. Who is this sadistic killer and why is he targeting young Betty?

Well, when you find out the killer, that's when the movie breaks down into nothing more than typical Americanized slasher fare. The twist stinks quite badly I might add. There are some classic Argento images like the pins to the eyelids and ravens,ravens,ravens. This movie, of course, is shot beautifully. There is one scene of a spiraling raven in the opera house I found stunning. Sadly, this was the beginning of Argento's decent into mediocrity(though it was momentarily buoyed with 1992's Trama) and he never quite achieved a level of  legendary status again.

6/10







The Stepfather(2009)
You get a double feature review today reader. Tuesday morning I got a chance to watch the remake of The Stepfather or should I say another regurgitated reboot of a horror classic. The original version(1987, my favorite year) featured a pre-Lost Terry O'Quinn as the main character and he pulls it off quite well. His madness, his duality were awesome and proved you don't always need a mask in a horror film. So, of course, this had to be remade cuz gawd forbid studios cant leave well enough alone.

If you've seen the original you won't like this. It's basically the same film only the suspicous teen as a boy and the story takes place in Portland, Oregon.  This remake joins a long list of reboots that should haven't been touched by piggish studio hands.

While it's not totally terrible, you can tell Terry O'Quinn is missed.

4/10







The Cinema Snob-
Alright, here we go. This time Senor Snob tackles the Astro-Zombies. Ironically, the film's director hates this review. If that's the case he must also hate the boys MST3K when they did Girl in Gold Boots. Enjoy.


Well this episode doesn't quite hit the mark in hilarity as the Snob has the past few times out. I think maybe he just let the episode speak for itself. Course any chance you reference the greatest tv show ever in MST3K, I automatically like it.


I just finished Ed McBain's Mischief and will be posting a review on goodreads.com/steel6619.

I don't believe in WWE
I don't believe in Miley
I don't believe in Obama
I believe in no one and me
The Dream is over

No comments:

Post a Comment